A man barricaded himself inside a stranger's home in the 700 block of S 15th Street in Temple Saturday night, after shooting at police officers.

After an investigation, police identified the man as 36-year-old Jerry Berry of Temple.

Temple Police Spokesperson Shawana Neely said the standoff began with a 911 call reporting a shooting around 9:30 p.m. A police investigation concluded Berry fired a gun in the area of S. 17th Street and W. Avenue G.

The initial address the caller gave was incorrect, so responding officers drove around the area looking for the Berry, who was eventually pointed out by a witness, Neely said. When officers attempted to stop Berry, police said he fired at them from three separate locations. Officers returned fire, but Berry kicked in the door of a nearby house and hid inside, according to Neely.

Neely said the homeowner was inside when Berry first broke in, but the homeowner escaped to safety through a window when Berry climbed into the attic and attempted to conceal himself.

Temple Police set up a command post Saturday night, and negotiators were called to the scene to try to get Berry to surrender. According to Neely, the Temple Police Department's SWAT Team and the Crisis Negotiators Unit spent several hours trying to make verbal contact with Berry via telephone and loud speaker. But, those attempts were unsuccessful, police said.

"Mr. Berry would not communicate with officers nor did he come out of the residence as instructed," Neely said.

SWAT officers deployed less than lethal projectiles into the house, but Berry did not respond, according to Neely. After several hours, SWAT officers entered the house and located Berry under insulation in a corner of the attic, where he was hiding.

"Mr. Berry was ordered several times by officers to show his hands and to surrender, which he failed to do, instead he moved his hands in a manner the officers perceived to be a threat," Neely said.

Officers shot Berry, then immediately applied first aid and brought him to an ambulance that transported him to Scott & White Hospital in Temple, Neely said. No officers were injured.

Police said they found a 40 caliber Smith & Wesson handgun with a laser sight in the location where Berry was hiding.

Berry was charged with burglary of habitation with intent to commit assault and being a felon in possession of firearm. On Wednesday, Temple Police announced Berry was being charged with three counts of aggravated assault against a public servant, too, following a review by the Bell County District Attorney's Office.

Justice of the Peace David Barfield set the bond for each of the three charges at $250,000. He was already being held on $30,000 bond.

The Texas Rangers and the Temple Police Department continue to investigate the case. Per standard protocol, Temple Police placed five officers on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.