Killeen Police are warning the public of the dangers of meeting strangers for internet sales and online dating.
The Criminal Investigation Division recently received reports of a suspicious incident where a local resident made arrangements to sell an item to a stranger, and wanted to share some tips with local residents on how to stay safe in such meetings.
The tips are as follows:
1. Trust your instincts. If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is.
2. In the case of sales, don't go alone.
3. Insist on meeting at a public place such as the KPD Safe Exchange Zone.
4. Do not meet in a secluded area.
5. Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
6. Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
7. Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
8. Tell a friend or family member about your intentions and where you will be.
9. Take your mobile phone with you.
Killeen Police encourage the public to utilize their Safe Exchange Zone located in the lobby of the Police Headquarters at 3304 Community Blvd. when meeting for online sales and/or purchases.
Commander Alex Gearhart of Killeen Police said the warning "is not necessarily directed at legitimate dating websites, although common sense and caution should always be exercised when meeting a stranger for the first time."