Dak Prescott seems to have officially claimed the Cowboys’ starting quarterback job after a thrilling victory over the Steelers Sunday afternoon.
Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones told reporters there that Tony Romo would be active for the team’s next game against Baltimore, and that he would be the backup to Prescott.
Per media in Pittsburgh, Jerry Jones says that Tony Romo will be active next week against Baltimore, and will be the backup quarterback.— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) November 14, 2016
Romo didn’t suit up for Sunday’s game in Pittsburgh. All Prescott did was complete 22 of 32 passes for 319 yards and two touchdowns in a game that saw seven lead changes.
The Cowboys have won eight straight with Dak at the helm. Romo hasn’t played since Nov. 26, 2015.
It’s the first time clarity has been provided by team officials on the heavily debated quarterback controversy in Dallas.
A source within the organization told News 8 last week that the Cowboys would “likely stick with Dak” when Romo was healthy, but there hasn’t been a regular season game yet this season in which both QBs were active.
Prescott is 165-of-248 for 2,020 yards and 12 touchdowns to only two interceptions on the year. He’s added 125 yards and four scores on the ground.