Baylor women’s golf holds the tournament lead after shooting 15-under-par 273 in Sunday’s first round at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown. The Bears’ tied the program record for lowest team score, and set the record for lowest team round on a par-72 course.
Baylor (-15) leads by five strokes over the 19-team field, with Iowa (-10) the closest opponent. San Diego State (-8) and UNLV (-8) are tied for third, followed by San Jose State (-7), Indiana (-5), Texas (-4), UC Riverside (-4), Vanderbilt (-3), Missouri (+1), Colorado State (+2), Nebraska (+2), Fresno State (+4), Gonzaga (+4), Long Beach State (+5), Nevada (+8), UC Irvine (+8), New Mexico State (+9) and New Mexico (+11).
Three Baylor players are among the top five individuals. Maria Vesga shot 6-under-par 66 to tie for the tournament lead, and Evelyn Arguelles and Amy Lee are tied for fifth place after shooting 4-under-par 68. Dylan Kim carded a 1-under 71 to tie for 26th place, and Fiona Liddell shot even-par 72 to tie for 36th place. Giovana Maymon, who is playing as an individual, is tied for 91st place at 5-over 77.
- Baylor’s 273 tied the school record for lowest round score, equaling the 273 shot in the third round of the 2014 Schooner Fall Classic.
- Sunday’s round was Baylor’s lowest ever on a par-72 course, as the previous 273 was shot on a par-70 course.
- Baylor is tied for the lead in the 19-team field in par-5 scoring at 7-under 4.65.
- BU is second in par-4 scoring at 6-under 3.88 and tied for third in par-3 scoring at 2-under 2.90.
- Baylor’s 21 birdies are tied with UC Riverside for the tournament lead.
- Baylor made 64 pars on Sunday, tied for fourth-most in the field.
- Lee is in a three-way tie for the tournament lead in par-3 scoring at 2-under 2.50.
- Vesga and Lee are among four players tied for the tournament lead with six birdies.
- Vesga is tied for the tournament lead in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.25.
- Vesga is tied for fifth in par-4 scoring at 3-under 3.70.
STAT OF THE DAY
273 – Baylor’s team score on Sunday’s tied the best round in program history, equaling the 273 shot during the third round of the 2014 Schooner Fall Classic. The Schooner Fall Classic was played on a par-70 course, so Sunday’s round in Las Vegas set a program record at 15-under-par.
“Today has been for sure a great day, as we shot one of the lowest rounds in program history,” head coach Jay Goble said. “It’s great to see all of the hard work that the girls have put in every day paying off. Maria (Vesga) shot her lowest round at Baylor, and it’s exciting to see how well she is playing and how much she has improved. Both Evelyn (Arguelles) and Amy (Lee) had great rounds today. We’re just going to keep hitting one shot at a time for the next two days.”
Monday’s second round and Tuesday’s final round are both slated for 10 a.m. CT shotgun starts. Baylor players will play the second round in pairings with golfers from Idaho and San Diego State. Vesga and Lee will begin from the first tee, Arguelles and Kim will start from No. 2 and Liddell will begin from the third tee. Maymon starts her round on the 18th tee.