(KCEN) - An autopsy has confirmed that a sudden allergic reaction to fire ant bites killed a 13-year-old South Texas boy after he was bitten during halftime of a middle school football game.
Cameron Espinosa's body showed signs of ant stings that encircled the lower portion of his right leg. That was the section exposed between his uniform pants, socks and shoes.
Corpus Christi school district officials say the eighth-grader died September 16, days after being bitten multiple times by fire ants while warming up for the second half of a Sept. 11 football game.
District spokeswoman, Lorette Williams, says the boy didn't know he was allergic to ants.