Former Nolanville Mayor Found Guilty of Continuous Sexual Abuse of a Child

Update: Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, 3:10 p.m. -- The jury has found former Nolanville mayor Charlie Stewart guilty of continuous sexual abuse of a child.


Update: Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, 2:30 p.m. -- Closing arguments are done in the Charlie Stewart trial, and the jury is out to deliberate the charge of continuous sexual abuse of a young child.


Update: Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, 12:15 p.m. -- The defense just rested in the Stewart trial after calling only the defendant himself as a witness.

He testified for a little more than an hour and said his three family members accusing him of sexual abuse "are all lying, and it's one person that's controlling them." That person, he said, is the mother of the alleged victim in the crime he's actually charged with, who testified first yesterday. The fourth accuser, he said, is making it up to get back at her parents. Asked by the prosecution if they had a conspiracy against him, he replied simply, "Yes, ma'am."

Explaining his DNA on the mattress, he said he used that bed in a different room in his house in 2008.

There was also a disagreement over a sexual battery charge in Mississippi from 1991. He says he pled no contest to a lesser misdemeanor to avoid going to trial, but the state presented a document that showed he pled guilty. Stewart said the document was incorrect because the system was "corrupt" and "did [him] wrong."

The jury returns at 1:15 p.m. for the court's charge, then they start deliberations.



Update: Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, 10:00 a.m. -- The state rests in the Charlie Stewart, Sr., sexual abuse case.

Two forensic scientists with DPS who analyzed DNA found on a section of mattress spoke Wednesday morning. The analysis showed the DNA came from semen, and was matched to a cheek swab taken from Stewart at the Bell County Jail in January.

On the defense cross, the scientists explained they have no way of knowing how or when the stain was deposited, and in fact it could have been transferred there from somewhere else. They also said DNA can survive for a long time, even as long as 10 to 20 years.

None of the other pieces of evidence they analyzed (two pairs of the alleged victim's underwear, another piece of mattress, and a mattress cover) contained DNA in the form of semen.

The defense will start its case when we return from recess at 10:20 a.m.

(KCEN) -- The trial is underway for Charlie Lee Stewart, Sr., a former two-time Nolanville mayor accused of continuous sexual abuse of a young child.

Prosecutors asked their first witness, the alleged victim's mother, about when her daughter first claimed she was abused.

She told jurors her daughter came to her in June of 2012 and said Stewart had been going into her bedroom at night, for about a year while she was living with him, taking her clothes off, and sexually assaulting her.

She "Pretended to be asleep until he left," the mother said, then "Cried [herself] to sleep."

John Galligan, Stewart's attorney, focused questions on clarifying the timeline, both of the alleged abuse and when it was reported.

The alleged victim, who was 12-years-old when the alleged attacks happened, now 14-years-old, took the stand next.

She echoed a lot of what her mother said, and said she kept her eyes closed the entire time. 

The victim said she would think about anything to distract herself, saying "I just wanted to go home to my mom."

She said she finally told her mom about the assaults because she "Wanted to be normal like everyone else."

The next witness was a 19-year-old female who is a relative of the 14-year-old alleged victim. The witness said that when she was in the 7th grade, Charlie Stewart picked her up from a skating rink and drove to a vacant field on a back road.

She said Stewart tired to take her pants off but she resisted. She then says she got out of the car and tried to run away, but tripped on her clothes and fell. She then said Stewart got on top of her and sexually assaulted her.

The prosecution then presented to evidence a letter the witness said Stewart wrote to her while he was in jail.

The witness read the letter out loud to the courtroom. "Don't let anyone know I'm writing you," the letter said. "I'm going to write a statement and all you have to do is type it up and sign and date it," she read, "make sure you destroy my letter and envelope."

During cross examination the witness admitted that she wrote at least one letter to Stewart and called him on the phone while he was in jail. 

The next witness, a 36-year-old female, is also a relative of the alleged 14-year-old victim. She claims that Stewart sexually assaulted her three times, once in his Nolanville home when she was in the 6th grade.

She told the court that after one of the alleged assaults she went home and washed herself off because, "I felt like I did something wrong."

The next witness, a 35-year-old female, said her father was friends with Stewart. She said that when she was either 10 or 11-years-old, Stewart tried to take her pants off while she was staying at his house.

She claims Stewart only stopped when a young girl walked into the room. The witness told her parents what Stewart had allegedly done, but they didn't believe her.

The next time she stayed at Stewart's home, she was ordered to sleep in bed with Stewart and his wife. The witness says that when Stewart's wife fell asleep, he reached over his wife's body and started touching her.

The witness said she woke up Mrs. Stewart and told her what was happening, but she wasn't believed and was told to go back to sleep.

The next witness was a "Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner" at Scott & White. She examined the 14-year-old witness the night of June 28th 2012. The nurse shared her notes from the examination as well as diagrams.

The trial continues Tuesday afternoon, and could take up to four to five days to wrap up completely.




To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment