WACO - Baylor University's Board of Regents announced Thursday it had put a Presidential Search Committee in place to find a successor to Ken Starr.
Starr was fired in the wake of a sexual assault scandal over the summer. Head football coach, Art Briles was also fired.
Their firings came after the release of an investigation by Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton into sexual assaults on campus.
The investigation found a "fundamental failure by Baylor to implement Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013."
According to a press release sent Thursday morning, the committee will be led by chair Bob Brewton, president and principal owner of Brewton Investment Corp, and vice chair Andrew Dixon, PhD., the Frank M. and Floyd Smith Holloway Endowed Professor in Marketing and executive director of the Center for Professional Selling and Keller Center for Research in Baylor’s Hankamer School of Business.
Other members of the committee include:
- Drayton McLane Jr. (Alumni), B.B.A. ’58, of Temple, Chairman of the McLane Group
- Richard B. Welday (Alumni), B.B.A. ’90, of Dallas, president of AT&T AdWorks, the advertising sales division of AT&T
- Kathy Wills Wright (Alumni), B.S.Ed. ’85, M.S.Ed. ’88, of Arlington, Virginia
- Bill Neilson, M.D. (Faculty), of Waco, associate dean of the Honors College at Baylor and senior lecturer and clinical professor in the Honors Program
- Kevin P. Jackson, Ph.D. (Staff/Administration), of Waco, vice president for student life
- Marjorie Ellis (Staff/Administration) of Waco, executive director of Career and Professional Development at Baylor
- Jonathan Siktberg (Student) of Nashville, Tennessee, senior Baylor Business Fellow
- Robert E. Beauchamp (Current Regent) of Houston, chairman and chief executive officer of BMC Software
- William S. Simon (Current Regent) of Rogers, Arkansas, former president and CEO of Walmart U.S.
- Dennis R. Wiles, M.Div. ’85, Ph.D. ’92 (Current Regent), of Arlington, pastor, First Baptist Church Arlington, Texas.
The committee will select a search firm to assist with the national search.
“We are grateful to these thoughtful and devoted servant leaders who represent each of the major constituencies of the University, said Board of Regents Chair, Ron Murff. "They have agreed to give of their time to oversee the important responsibility of identifying and recommending our next president."
“The search committee will benefit greatly from its leadership, chair Bob Brewton and vice chair Dr. Andrea Dixon, both of whom are extraordinary people of faith and leaders in their respective fields. We have a strong vision for the University in Pro Futuris, and we ask for the prayers of the entire Baylor family as we embark on this important search to identify the 15th president of Baylor University who will lead us forward,” said Murff.
Interim President David Garland, Ph.D., former dean of Baylor’s George W. Truett Theological Seminary and professor of Christian Scriptures, took the helm of Baylor University in June of this year. Garland will continue to actively lead the University throughout the search process and until a new president is installed.
“As we commence this presidential search, we extend our deepest appreciation to our interim president, Dr. David Garland, said Murff. "The board and our Baylor family are thankful he answered the call to lead the University in this interim period, and we have full confidence in his exceptional leadership and faithful stewardship of Baylor University."
(© 2016 KCEN)