TEMPLE - Temple firefighters put out a house fire Tuesday morning in the 2500 block of Valley Forge Avenue.
Officials said they received the call around 10:40 and immediately dispatched to the scene. The fire was put out by 10:50 p.m.
The cause of the fire was improper disposal of fireplace ashes, according to officials.
Occupants of the home had been cleaning ashes from the fire and decided to put them in a non-fireproof container. The ashes caught on fire within the container causing it to spread on the wall in the back porch area.
Fortunately for the family of three, the home is not a total loss and only received most of its damage on the exterior. The dollar loss to the duplex was estimated at $1,000.
Temple Fire and Rescue offered these tips to stay warm and safe:
• Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks jumping out
• Do not burn paper in your fireplace or wood stove.
• Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
• Allow ashes to cool before disposing of them. Place ashes in a covered metal container. Keep the container at least 10 feet away from the home and other buildings.
• Heating equipment that burn fuel are a common source of carbon monoxide. Install and test carbon monoxide alarms.
© 2018 KCEN-TV