KILLEEN - The City of Killeen tried to prevent local business robberies by holding a best practices forum at the police department Thursday night.
The event, which began at 6 p.m., included insights from City Councilman Gregory Johnson and Killeen Police officers.
Killeen had nearly 50 commercial burglaries in 2017, as of mid-April. In 2016, there were a total of more than 200 commercial burglaries.
Channel 6 News solicited prevention tips prior to the forum. Below is what we found:
1. Invest in Security Cameras
- The best advice included purchasing security cameras, and maintaining them by regularly checking if they are working and by cleaning their lenses. Cameras should be pointed both towards and away from the register for the best chance of catching the robber's face.
2. Give Cashier Clear View of Establishment
- Experts recommend organizing stores in a way that allowed cashiers to see as much activity as possible. Don't place large displays that would obstruct employees' views. However, also consider designing the front section in a way that makes it tougher for potential thieves to see behind the counter. If you can accomplish both, that's ideal.
3. Keep the Back Door Locked
- Keep alternate doors locked to maximize security, and have employees park in the front of the store -- especially at night.
If you see anything suspicious, please call police.
© 2018 KCEN-TV