(KCEN) -- More than 200 people are dead after flames erupted at a popular nightclub in Southern Brazil.
Police say the fire broke out early this morning after a band's fireworks show sparked a rapidly moving fire at the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
A civil defense official says it appears most of the victims died from smoke inhalation.
The death toll has climbed to 245 people.
An estimated 900 people were inside the club and most of the victims were trampled as they attempted to escape.
Brazil's president reacted to the sad news today while in Chile.
President Dilma Rousseff said, "I would like to say to the people of our country, and to the people of Santa Maria, that in this time of sadness, we are all together and we are going to overcome this sadness while still in mourning."
Authorities say they believe insulation caught fire during that pyrotechnics show.