U.S. Deploys 80-Man Force to Help Find Nigerian Girls - kcentv.com - KCEN HD - Waco, Temple, and Killeen

U.S. Deploys 80-Man Force to Help Find Nigerian Girls

Posted: Updated:
CNN CNN

(NBC News) -- Eighty American service members are on the ground in North Africa to oversee drone operations in the search for the 276 abducted Nigerian schoolgirls, the Obama administration said Wednesday.

The White House formally notified Congress that the troops are in the neighboring African nation of Chad. The mission includes 40 people to operate and maintain the Predator drone and 40 more to protect the force.

“These personnel will support the operation of intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance aircraft for missions over northern Nigeria and the surrounding area,” President Barack Obama said in a letter. “The force will remain in Chad until its support in resolving the kidnapping situation is no longer required.”

The White House notified Congress under the War Powers Resolution, which kicks in when armed U.S. forces enter a foreign nation’s territory. All 80 are combat-armed for personnel protection.

The schoolgirls were taken more than a month ago by the Islamist terror group Boko Haram, which has demanded the release of militant prisoners in exchange for freeing the girls.

The commanding general of U.S. Army forces in Africa was sent to Nigeria earlier this month to help the Nigerian government in the search.

Uniformed American military were already in the region to help with embassy security and to coordinate with the Nigerian government. It was known before Wednesday that the Predator drone was involved, but not that it was based in Chad.

Boko Haram is believed to have carried out two attacks in Nigeria this week alone — a twin bombing in the city of Jos and an assault on three villages. In all, more than 166 people were killed.

  • Latest NewsMore>>

  • McLennan County Drug Bust Nets One Arrest

    McLennan County Drug Bust Nets One Arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:36 PM EDT2014-07-25 01:36:37 GMT
    (KCEN) -- A drug bust in McLennan County led to one arrest Thursday evening. Multiple law enforcement agencies, acting on a federal narcotics search warrant, raided a home on Mackey Ranch Road in Bruceville-Eddy as part of a joint task force investigation.More >>
    (KCEN) -- A drug bust in McLennan County led to one arrest Thursday evening. Multiple law enforcement agencies, acting on a federal narcotics search warrant, raided a home on Mackey Ranch Road in Bruceville-Eddy as part of a joint task force investigation.More >>
  • Police Chief Says 'Irreconcilable Differences' with Mayor Over PD Led Him to Quit

    Police Chief Says 'Irreconcilable Differences' with Mayor Over PD Led Him to Quit

    Thursday, July 24 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:43:54 GMT
    (KCEN) – Officer Michael Lugo revealed his reasoning to KCEN Thursday following his resignation as interim police chief in Little River-Academy. Lugo, formerly the town's reserve police officer, stepped down Wednesday after less than two weeks on the job as chief.More >>
    (KCEN) – Officer Michael Lugo revealed his reasoning to KCEN Thursday following his resignation as interim police chief in Little River-Academy. Lugo, formerly the town's reserve police officer, stepped down Wednesday after less than two weeks on the job as chief.More >>
  • Minnesota Man Says Southwest Removed His Family Over Tweet

    Minnesota Man Says Southwest Removed His Family Over Tweet

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:51 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:51:52 GMT
    A Minnesota man refuses to fly on Southwest Airlines after he says his family was briefly removed from their flight over a critical tweet. Duff Watson was boarding as a priority flyer with Southwest when an agent refused to allow his two children, ages 6 and 9, who had later boarding times, to board with him, according to NBC's affiliate KARE. Watson said he warned the agent that he'd tweet about the incident, which he did. "RUDEST AGENT IN DENVER. KIMBERLY S. GATE C39. NOT HAPP...More >>
    A Minnesota man refuses to fly on Southwest Airlines after he says his family was briefly removed from their flight over a critical tweet. Duff Watson was boarding as a priority flyer with Southwest when an agent refused to allow his two children, ages 6 and 9, who had later boarding times, to board with him, according to NBC's affiliate KARE. Watson said he warned the agent that he'd tweet about the incident, which he did. "RUDEST AGENT IN DENVER. KIMBERLY S. GATE C39. NOT HAPP...More >>
Click for Local Doppler Radar
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KCEN. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.