AUSTIN, Texas — You'll want to grab your walking shoes because Austin Museum Day is coming up this Sunday, Sept. 22, and it will offer free access to more than 30 participating museums, historic sites, and other organizations.
Austin Museum Day was founded in 1998 and is coordinated by the Austin Museum Partnership, a non-profit that promotes and facilitates collaboration within the museum community for the benefit of museums and the community at large.
The Austin Museum Partnership also partners with museums and galleries throughout the year, providing free and ticketed events for the community.
Here are a few of Austin's museums that are participating this year's Austin Museum Day.
The Blanton Museum of Art is a part of The University of Texas and has a permanent collection of more than 18,000 works containing a diverse range of art from ancient Greek pottery to abstract expressionism.
It is the State Botanic Garden and Arboretum of Texas and promotes the mission to inspire the conservation of native plants through its internationally recognized sustainable gardens, education and outreach programs, research projects and consulting work.
The Bullock Texas State History Museum is the official history museum of the State of Texas and it opened its doors in 2001.
It displays Texas artifacts from around the world as it builds relationships with museums, archives, and private lenders to help explore their stories. They also collect and archive first-person stories about Texas through the Texas Story Project.
The rest of the partners participating in Austin Museum Day include:
- Austin History Center
- Austin Nature & Science Center
- Briscoe Center for American History
- Brush Square Museums: Susanna Dickinson Museum and O. Henry Museum
- Chateau Bellevue (Austin Women’s Club)
- Christian-Green Gallery
- City of Austin Cultural Arts Division: Seaholm Walking Tour and TEMPO Program
- Dougherty Arts Center
- ESB Mexican American Cultural Center
- Harry Ransom Center
- LBJ Library and Museum
- Mexic-Arte Museum
- Historic Millett Opera House
- Neill-Cochran House Museum
- Old Bakery and Emporium
- Pioneer Farms
- History of Medicine Gallery at the Texas Medical Association
- Save Austin’s Cemeteries at Oakwood Cemetery
- Science Mill
- South Austin Museum of Popular Culture
- Texas Capitol Visitors Center
- Texas Memorial Museum
- Texas Military Forces Museum
- Texas Music Museum
- Texas Wendish Heritage Museum
- The Contemporary Austin – Jones Center and The Contemporary Austin – Laguna Gloria
- Sheffield Education Center
- The Williamson Museum and The Williamson Museum on the Chisholm Trail
- UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum
- UT Visual Arts Center
- Waterloo Greenway (formerly Waller Creek Conservancy)
- Women & Their Work Gallery
You can find more information about Austin Museum Day online.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: