KEMPNER, Texas — Editor's note: A previous version if this story included an incorrect mugshot. All photos are updated and from the Lampasas County Sheriff's Office
The Lampasas County Sheriff's Office received a report of a man with multiple gunshot wounds at a home on Pecos Lane in Kempner on Sept. 16.
The 24-year-old man was later identified as Vance Henry Helzer. He was pronounced dead at the scene and an investigation began immediately.
Criminal Investigator David Thorp and Texas Ranger Adam Russell conducted the investigation over several months.
Matthew Lawson,18, Markevious Myers, 19, Kashawn Ratliff, 19, and Javier Gutierrez, 18, were the four suspects identified in the case.
A follow-up investigation showed that Helzer was in an argument over money.
The four suspects drove to confront him and he was immediately shot, according to the investigation.
Popular on KCENTV.com:
- Bears feel poised heading to Lawrence in "Game of the Weekend"
- Killeen ranks number 8 in the country for STDs, study shows
- 'I never thought I would end up here': Baylor's Freddie Gillespie defies the odds
- 5.2 magnitude earthquake, others latest to hit Puerto Rico
- Man struck and killed by 18-wheeler on Hwy 6 in Waco