Week two in the trial of Dallas Bandido leader Jacob Carrizal got underway Monday morning, with day four of testimony wrapping up around 5 in the evening. Carrizal is facing several charges including directing activities of a street gang following the May 2015 Twin Peaks shootout that left nine people dead.

It was a heated day in the courtroom as undercover federal task officer Doug Pearson took the stand for a third day. Pearson testified the rival bikers came to Twin Peaks that day ready for a battle.

He said both the Cossacks and Bandidos were responsible for the nine lives lost that day -- calling it gang-on-gang violence. He said the Cossacks wore bullet proof vests to Twin Peaks but didn't recall the Bandidos wearing any.

The officer also said while he doesn't know who threw the first punch, he said the video shows Carrizal leading the pack and claimed the fighting started as soon Carrizal arrived. The defense then unsuccessfully tried to throw out the officers testimony and both sides were called to the judge's chambers several times.

Following that testimony, there were several other witnesses with the Waco Police Department including a crime scene technician who responded to the scene. The technician said she was responsible for logging evidence from the interior and patio area of Twin Peaks after the shooting.

Tech experts also took the stand Monday explaining how they pulled important evidence like text messages off of phones from people at the scene. They claimed to have examined and extracted data from close to 200 devices.


On Tuesday morning, retired Waco Police Officer James Owens took the stand and testified about collecting cell phones from Bandido members Marshall Mitchell, Ray Allen and Jake Carrizal.

Carrizal's defense attorney Casie Gotro sparred with prosecutors over the admission of the contents of three cell phones she said she had not been provided.

"It is slowing down the progress of this trial for these exhibits not to be delivered to the defense council prior to them being offered." said 54th District Court Judge Matt Johnson, after sending the jury out.

The judge told both sides they would have to work through lunch, so the state can give Gotro the evidence she needs. Trial was delayed another 45 minutes until the disc prosecutors needed to provide to Gotro could be converted into a readable format.

When trial resumed, Gotro objected to personal information and pictures on Carrizal's phone, arguing they were irrelevant.

During the late morning, Carrizal's brother Zach took the stand. Asked by the prosecution what it took to be a Bandido, Zach responded "being a man."

Chris Schaefer of the Colorado Burueu of Investigation took the stand as an expert witness. He said analyzed a series of text messages in Carrizal's phone, and he contributed the text messages to gang activity. One of those text messages, which was sent an hour and a half before the Twin Peaks shooting, showed Carrizal advising other Bandidos to "bring your tools."

Schaefer said he believed Carrizal was reffering to guns and said the Bandido's knew violence would occur. Waco police Sargent Stephen he was assigned to investigate the biker meeting that was supposed to happen at Twin Peaks in May of 2015.

Drews said he told the owner of the resturant to cancel the meeting, but said one once he arrived at the resturant, chaos erupted.

"At first it was one shot. Then it was just bam, bam, bam," said Drews. Then there was glass breaking, and you could hear the bullets."

Drews also said when he asked the owner of Twin Peaks to cancel the biker event, the owner declined. He testified the owner said nothing bad ever happened at their previous bike nights.

Testimony will continue on Wednesday. Channel 6 was told the trial may last for another four weeks.

Click here to follow Channel 6 News Waco Reporter Jasmin Caldwell's updates from the court house.