MIDLAND, Texas — Governor Greg Abbott reaffirmed his demand that gun's should be kept "out of criminals' hands" Monday in a tweet revealing the gunman in the West Texas mass shooting had previously failed a background check in Texas.

RELATED: Mail carrier, high school student among dead in Midland-Odessa mass shooting

RELATED: Name mass shooters or not? Keeping it out of the public not easy

Governor Abbott did not detail why the shooter failed the background check.

The governor says the weapon used by the 36-year-old man in the shooting was purchased without a background check.

RELATED: Gunman fired from job before West Texas shooting rampage

RELATED: So many crime scenes, so many emotions for West Texans

Governor Abbott ended the tweet by saying the state must do more to keep guns from the hands of known criminals. The line echoed Gov. Abbott's call to action during a press conference in Midland-Odessa Sunday.

During Sunday's press conference, Gov. Abbott demanded further action and promised solutions to prevent further mass shootings like Midland-Odessa and El Paso. However, he also says he will continue to uphold the Second Amendment for law-abiding citizens.

RELATED: 'Action is needed': Gov. Abbott mourns with state, says more needs to be done to protect Texans

RELATED: Rep. Matt Schaefer releases statement following Midland-Odessa shootings that killed 7, injured at least 20

Abbott made a similar call to keep guns from the hands of "deranged killers" following the El Paso mass shooting.

RELATED: Gov. Greg Abbott orders flags to half-staff in wake of Midland-Odessa shootings

RELATED: Odessa hospital trained to care for victims of mass shootings