WACO, Texas — Baylor volleyball (14-7, 6-4 Big 12) shut down the league’s best blocking team in a 3-0 sweep over Kansas (13-7, 6-3 Big 12) Saturday at the Ferrell Center, 25-21, 25-21, 25-17.
The Bears split the regular season series for the second consecutive season and swept the Jayhawks at home for the first time since Sept. 26, 2009.
Fanning posted her 17th double-digit match of the season with 18 kills on 26 attacks with no errors. Her .692 hitting efficiency marks her second-best effort this season and highest at home in 2018.
Behind the service line, the Bears held a 6-0 advantage in service aces with two each from Hannah Fluegel and Tara Wulf.
BU outblocked the Jayhawks, 6.0-4.0, and limited the Big 12’s best blocking team to its lowest output of the season. KU came into the match averaging 2.99 blocks per set.
In set one, the Bears raced out to the 15-10 lead after a Fanning kill. Kansas pulled within three at 18-15, but a 3-0 run helped BU push the lead and eventually take the set, 25-21.
With seven ties and three lead changes in set two, the Bears pulled ahead, 19-17, following a Jaelyn Jackson kill and a Fluegel service ace. Two BU kills and a KU attack error gave the Bears a commanding 2-0 lead, 25-21.
Baylor trailed early before taking back the lead with a 5-1 run to make it a 9-5 lead. Yossiana Pressley closed out the match with her ninth kill to help BU earn the sweep, 25-17.
• Baylor swept its first conference opponent of the season and improved to 6-4 in Big 12 play.
• Shelly Fanning posted 18 kills on 26 attempts with no errors.
• Fanning’s .692 efficiency is her second-best percentage of the season and best in a home match.
• Shelly Fanning led the Bears in kills for the third time this season.
• Tara Wulf led the Bears with 13 digs for her 17th double-digit match of the season.
• Aniah Philo posted her 14th double-digit match of the season with 11 digs against KU.
• Hannah Fluegel led all players with 33 assists.
• Hannah Fluegel and Tara Wulf contributed four combined service aces against the Jayhawks.
• Baylor swept Kansas at home for the first time since Sept. 26, 2009.
• Baylor split the regular season series with Kansas in back-to-back campaigns for the first time since the 2011-12 seasons.
• Baylor improved to 24-25 all-time against KU and earned its first home win over the Jayhawks under fourth-year head coach Ryan McGuyre.
STAT OF THE MATCH
.692 – the hitting efficiency of middle blocker Shelly Fanning against the Jayhawks.
TOP QUOTE #1
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On the win…
“Kansas is a great program. They’ve been playing well this season and in conference play, so it’s always good to get the win. I think it’s been an up-and-down season for the Big 12. You see a lot of different teams battling some adversities. For us, it’s good to be healthy and get back on the court and get the sweep. To do that against a strong opponent at home is great.”
TOP QUOTE #2
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On Shelly Fanning’s performance…
“Shelly was unstoppable. 18 kills with zero errors when they knew where the ball was going. She looked like a pro playing against amateurs. She really killed the ball at will. Her court vision is great. Her nose for where to score points was great. Tonight we had some pop in her legs and arms. She had some heavy swings early to get them on their toes, and then she dropped some tips in. She was a Rockstar tonight.”
The Bears (14-7, 6-4 Big 12) have a midweek bye on Wednesday before traveling to Oklahoma Saturday, Nov. 3 for a 7 p.m. CT matchup.