TEMPLE, Texas — The Temple Police Department is warning the public about a potential rental property scam that's being listed on Facebook Marketplace.
Police were made aware of the scam after a person notified them about a property that was listed for rent on East Drive. Police said the person visited the property, contacted the realtor before paying and learned the home wasn't up for rent.
Temple PD said it isn't aware of any victims who have been scammed yet.
To help the public identify potential rental or home buying scams, it said residents should be aware of:
- The property owner/realtor does not want to meet in person
- The property owner/realtor wants immediate move in, without ever seeing the property
- The property owner/realtor asks for rent or a security deposit before signing a lease
- The price is "questionably' low
- The listing has several typos or excessive punctuation
- There is no tenant screening process
If you were a victim to this scam or are aware of anyone who fell victim, police ask you to contact them at 254-298-5500.