TEMPLE, Texas — President Biden announced Tuesday that the U.S. is banning imports of Russian oil and gas, so Americans can expect higher prices at the pump.
The same day, the average gas price in the United States was over $4, according to AAA, In Texas, the average is about $3.85.
For those whose wallets may be stretching thin, we've compiled a list of things you can do to save a couple cents at the pump.
GetUpside app: While there are many apps out there that tell you where to get the cheapest gas prices, GetUpside can help you save up to 25 cents a gallon. How you can save up to this much: Take a photo of your receipt in the app to get the savings. Without a photo, you can save by using the feature called "check in."
GasBuddy's GasBack: We've heard how Gas Buddy can help you find the lowest gas prices in your area. The company also has this program called "GasBack," which means you can earn free money for gas on your everday purchases. You can enroll by downloading the app.
Loyalty programs: Stores like Sam's Club and Walmart offer members discounted prices at the pump. For example, Walmart+ members can get a 5-cent discount.
For Texans, H-E-B offers a "Points Club Rewards" membership at no charge where you earn points for every dollar you spend. In turn, you can use these points at the pump to get a little discount on gas.
Some gas stations, like Shell, also offer "fuel rewards" loyalty programs. With "gold status," you can save at least 5 cents a gallon every time you fill up. New members will get a complimentary "gold status" for six months, then have to buy at least five gallons of gas six times during qualification periods. Click here to learn more.
7-Eleven also has a program that will give you a discount of 11 cents a gallon for the first seven fill-ups on all fuel grades.
Pay in cash: It's always worth asking if a gas station offers cheaper gas if you pay with cash. If they do, you could possibly save up to 5 to 10 cents a gallon
Get cash back from credit cards: If you don't have cash, try using a "cash back" credit card where you earn back a percentage for every dollar spent. Below are some examples of how much you can get back:
- For military, Navy Federal Cash Rewards: Earn up to 1.75% cash back on ALL purchases. There is also a $200 bonus cash back offer happening now
- Wells Fargo Active Cash: 2% cash rewards on certain purchases; $200 cash rewards bonus offer when you spend $1,000 in first three months
- Sam's Club Mastercard: 5% cash back on gas, up to $6,000
- Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express: 3% cash back at gas stations
- Discover it Chrome: 2% cash back at gas stations
- GasBuddy Mastercard: Earn $10 GasBack for your first gas purchase to earning $25 GasBack for spending $500 on non-gas purchases within 120 days of opening your account. You can also earn 3 cents to 25 cents back per gallon on gas purchases
- Click here to see some other examples
Buy gas on certain days: Another way to save at the pump is by filling up on certain days and then avoiding the pumps on others. In Texas, the cheapest day to fill up is on Sunday while the most expensive day is Thursday, according to experts.