WACO, Texas — After posting a 3-2 record at the Getterman Classic, Baylor will host the 8th annual Baylor Invitational this weekend. The tournament field features North Texas, Louisiana and Kent State.
All Baylor games will be streamed via Facebook Live (@BaylorSoftball) this weekend.
• The Baylor Invitational began in 1981 and has been played since then in 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 2015 and 2017. The Lady Bears are 29-12 all-time in the tournament.
• In 1996 Baylor hosted the Baylor Spring Invitational (2-0 against Mary Hardin-Baylor and Tarleton State) and the Baylor Tournament (2-0 against Texas Lutheran and Houston Baptist.)
• North Texas was part of the first Baylor Invitational and has participated in four overall including the 2019 tournament.
• Baylor's record is 40-26 all-time against the Baylor Invitational field.
• Baylor faced two ranked opponents in the opening weekend for the first time since the 2010 season.
• Last weekend, the Lady Bears finished third in the Getterman Classic as they beat Southern Mississippi, 4-3 on Sunday.
• Madison Lindsey went 3-0 last week in the circle with a 0.00 ERA while Taylor Ellis and Lou Gilbert batted over .500 for the week. Ellis scored five runs, while Gilbert had three RBIs and went 4-for-4 on stolen base attempts.
• Taylor Ellis, Lou Gilbert and Kassidy Krupit were named to the Getterman Classic All-Tournament team.
• Baylor returns 13 letterwinners and seven position player starters from the 2018 squad that advanced to the program's eighth consecutive NCAA Regional.
• The Lady Bears add two transfers and a strong eight-member signing class to the 2019 roster.
• The Lady Bears have the fourth-longest tenured coaching staff in the country in head coach Glenn Moore, associate head coach Mark Lumleyand assistant coach Britni Sneed Newman.
• Baylor is 5-0 when the opponent scores two runs or less in 2019.
• Freshman Kassidy Krupit hit the team's first home run of the season against Liberty in the top of the seventh inning on Feb. 10, helping the Lady Bears top the Flames, 6-1, in Mexico. She's hit two more (at UTSA, UTA).
• Baylor has five games on its schedule against teams ranked in the preseason Coaches Top 10 and 16 games vs. the Coaches Top 25.
• Baylor is 1-1 against ranked opponents in 2019, going 4-8 against ranked foes last season.
• Baylor will play 24 games against 12 programs that advanced to the 2018 NCAA Regionals, including WCWS participants Washington and Oklahoma.
• Baylor is 6-1 when scoring first in 2019.
• Baylor is 270-99 over the last 7 seasons, averaging over 38 wins per season since 2013.
• BU was picked 3rd in the Big 12 preseason coaches poll behind Oklahoma and Texas.
LADY BEARS AGAINST BAYLOR INVITATIONAL OPPONENTS
• Baylor is a combined 18-12 against North Texas, Louisiana and Kent State since 2011.
• The last loss to any team in this weekend's field was Feb. 19, 2017, when North Texas topped Baylor in the Getterman Classic, 3-2, in eight innings.
• Baylor topped Louisiana in the 2018 Judi Garman Classic, 1-0. Gia Rodoni pitched a complete game shutout as none of Lousiana's eight hits went for extra bases.
• Goose McGlaun's home run in the top of the first, her third homer of the weekend, proved to be the game winner.
• Baylor's only matchup against Kent State came in the 2017 NCAA Waco Regional when Gia Rodoni recorded her first career no-hitter against the Golden Flashes and the program's first in an NCAA tournament game.
• Kyla Walker scored the winning run for Baylor in the fifth inning when she scored from third base - after lacing a two-out triple to right-center field - when Kent State's second baseman's throw to third bounced into the BU dugout.